single parenthood

It's every parents dream to give their children the best things in life they could offer. Being a parent myself, I'm no exception. Right now, my goal is to provide my daughter her basic needs and save for her future. Having said that, it breaks my heart to say NO to my daughter's whims. I have to tell her that some things are far more important than a barbie doll, a trip to here and there, a cotton ball that she once saw outside the church. If there's any consolation, God didn't gave me a brat for a daughter. She's very understanding, so much..that it oftentimes make me feel guilty. Whenever we're in a mall or in a supermarket, she'll show me an item and say " Ma, gusto ko nito." Me, being a budget freak will first see the price and if i can't squeeze it in our budget, I'll give her the look. She'll give me a shrug and with a rolling eyeballs she'll say " Okay, next time" or " Sabi ko nga eh." Moments like that make me guilty.Knowing how to prioritize things and her limitation are some things that i want her to learn. But of course, I gave her threats naman whenever she deserves it. Giving rewards daw to your children helps boost their confidence and will motivates them to do more good deeds knowing they're being appreciated. I read that somewhere. :p

And while friends of my age are busy worrying about their next gimik, here I am, worrying about how i can send my daughter to a good school for college. Yeah, college when she's only in her 3rd grade. See, I'm a born worrier .:p Talking to some of my friends sometimes make me feel like I'm 10 yrs older than them. They're like reminding me how I'm missing a lot of things in theoutside world. I may be missing the fun a girl of my age should be or rather, could be experiencing right now, but I'm NOT craving for it. ( Weeehhh? :p) Okay, maybe i do. Apparently, I'm too busy thinking about important matters for me to actually entertain the thought.

I once had a weird response from a friend when she learned that I'm a single parent. She said, " Cool! Ako din, gusto ko maging single mommy. Gusto ko anak lang, ayaw ko ng asawa." I was like, "Seriously? You don't understand what you're talking about, girl!" Tawa lang siya. A year after her debut, she got pregnant and became a single parent like me. Welcome to the club, girl friend. Now you know. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it all and some of them you don't want.

Single parenthood is no joke. Single being the operative word, I really have to do everything alone...majority of everything. Good thing there's my family behind me. Do i have regrets? Yes. I guess we all have. We all reach a point in our life when we wish we could've done things the other way around. I had my share of what might have been, could've been and if only moments in my life. Sometimes,when things get rough, i can't help myself but ask God, " Of all people, why me?"For a while, bitterness reigned over me. I'm only human, i get hurt and i get tired. If I'm really destined to be a single parent, i wish it happened a little later. When I'm more emotionally and financially stable. I could've prepared myself. But then again, who am I to question the will of God? It's true, nothing happens in our life is insignificant. There's a lesson behind everything.Unfortunately, I learned mine the hard and painful way. I know, there's still a long, rocky road to take ahead of me. Hopefully, I can make it through till the end. :)


"God always act in your best interest even if it is painful and you don't understand."

Popular posts from this blog

He's Just Not That Into You.